Home Made Bread – Eat well and save a fortune.
2 ½ cups of white bread flour and ½ cup of wholemeal or any combination thereof. ½ teaspoon instant dried yeast. (recommend Lowan brand ex supermarket). 1 teaspoon salt. 300 ml lukewarm water. White bread flour for dusting.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast and salt by putting white and/or wholemeal into mixing bowl. Fluff with a dry fork or through a sieve and mix well.
- Add water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover the bowl with plate. Let dough rest 12 hours (until risen) at warm room temperature. This is not a precise time – it depends on room temperature.
- Dough is ready when it is about double the size and the surface is dotted with bubbles.
- Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself a few times and form into loaf shape. You can knead the dough as little or as long as you like.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds or poppy seed or other onto base of non-stick loaf tin.
- Place in baking tin, slash top of dough decoratively, and sprinkle on more sesame or other seeds.
- Cover with cotton towel and let rise again for about 2 hours. Again, room temperature governs the rate of rise. If you are pressed for time place it in a convection microwave at 40 degrees to speed the process.
- (Optional) Put a heavy covered pot (cast iron camp oven, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) into oven and heat to 210 degrees.
- Place bread tin in camp oven, cover with lid and bake 30 minutes. If you don’t have a camp oven just place the tin directly in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- If you use the camp oven, remove the lid and bake for a further 10 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned.
- Place the bread on a rack to cool.
Yield: One 1½-pound loaf that fills the house with magic aroma and tastes like heaven!
- Add sliced olives and/or sundried tomatoes at step 4.
- Vary the combination of flour by mixing in varieties such as multigrain, all wholemeal etc.
- As alternatives to sesame seeds, use poppy seeds, sunflower seeds etc.